Universal Remote – What is it and do you need it
At one point of time or another, you must have heard or even used a remote control. If yes, then you know what I am talking about. Remote Control is a handy device that lets you operate another device from a distance, without the need of any physical connection between them by the use of wires. Then what is a Universal Remote Control? In this article, we will explore more on the subject and check out its advantages and disadvantages as well.
A Remote Control is a handy device that lets you operate another device from a distance, without the need of any physical connection between them by the use of wires. Transmission between the devices takes place by means of radio or infrared signals.
Understanding the need for a Universal Remote Control (URC)
Let us assume that you a TV (made by LG), a music system (made by Sony), a Video Cassette Recorder (made by Samsung). Most likely, you would also get a remote control along with the device, at the time of purchase. In this case, as you have three devices, you will end up with three remote controls. House automation systems like URC prevent that.
What the above means is that each time you want to operate a device you will need its own remote control, without which you can’t operate the device from a distance. Moreover, it will get messy as you need to handle three different remote controls to operate those devices. You also have to safeguard those different remote controls from mishandling and avoid breakage.
You also have to purchase multiple different batteries for each of those devices and ultimately spend more time and money on their overall maintenance. How cool and super-efficient would that be if you are able to get rid of multiple remote controls and handle all the three devices with just a single remote control? Enter URC.
Universal Remote Control
A Universal Remote Control is a home automation sensor that performs all the functionalities of a traditional Remote Control and more. It is a superior type of single remote control that can be used to control different types of devices regardless of the Brand that manufactured it. If you go for one of these, then there would not be any need for a separate remote control to operate most of the electronic devices at your place. Kamonk’s universal remote control can integrate with other smart lighting devices.
A touch sensor switch also can be integrated with voice assistants to help you control your appliances intuitively, Home light switches have come a long way since then and can now be integrated with a smart door lock to help you create smart scenes that can basically automate your entire house. Touch switches for home are also one of the best ways to dip your toes in the home automation world.
Types of Universal Remote Control
There are different types of Universal Remote Controls (URC). There are multiple companies that manufacture them and these URCs are available in many sizes and styles. If you are someone that likes things to be simple, then you can go for a URC that sports a simple design. Or if you feel geeky and can handle technical things well, then you might like an elaborated and sophisticated type of remote control.
The choice of URC that you would want to go for is highly dependent upon your need. What do you want to do with it? Do you just want a simple interface to control multiple devices or are you looking for a something that allows you to tweak settings in-depth, auto-start, auto-shut down and more functionalities? The choice is entirely yours and it is advised you make sure that you select the one that fulfills your criterion to make the most out of your purchase. Wireless home automation systems and smart home automation systems are taking over the world and for good reason too. Kamonk is one of the best smart home automation brands in India.
There are different companies that manufacture the URCs. Some of them are, but not limited to Sony, Samsung, Philips, etc. Kamonk’s universal remote control works with other devices like the smart led bulb.
You can also integrate it with devices like the bluetooth light bulb. Which inturn integrates with other smart home devices like the smart touch switch. This can go on for as many smart devices you want. A wifi touch switch is one of the best ways to get started on your home automation journey. You can create smart scenes with a smart lock and other devices like a universal remote control.
Kamonk’s devices can also talk with other smart devices like the fingerprint door lock.
Devices that can be controlled using a Universal Remote Control
There are several devices that can be controlled using a Universal Remote Control. Some of them are, but not limited to:
- TV/LCD/LED/Plasma/OLED/Smart TV
- Audio Player / Media Center / Media Player
- Video Player / DVD / Blu-ray Player
- Home Theatre PC
- Game console
- Air Conditioner
- Amplifier / Tuner / Home Cinema / Soundbar / Hi-Fi
- Freeview / TNT / TDT / DTT
- iPod / iPhone / iPad / MP3 / MP4 docking station
- Satellite / Cable / DVB-T / IPTV receiver
- Video Cassette Recorder
Advantages of Universal Remote Control
- Just one to rule them all: It’s highly likely that you may have different devices such as your TV, Audio system, Home Theatre, Blu-ray, etc. from different brands. This means that there will be a remote control to control each of them.A Universal Remote Control is your ultimate device that can be used to control multiple devices. You no longer need multiple remote controls. You can control your automated lighting systems using this. This makes life even more simple and there won’t be any need to handle multiple remote controls, thereby eliminating frustration from the need to operate multiple remotes.
- Convenience and Simplicity: As the need to operate, handle and maintain multiple devices is now non-existent because of a single Universal Remote Control, this makes it really simple and convenient to access and switch between different devices very easily and quickly.
- Ends the clutter: Eliminates the need to switch back and forth between the right remote control just to get the TV to turn on, thereby ensuring more peace of mind.
- Easy to Setup and operate: It is very easy to setup a Universal Remote Control and once done, it is easy to operate thus making it an even more efficient device. A good Universal Remote Control always comes with an instruction manual that shows you step-by-step instructions on how to setup the device and pair it with multiple devices, so you don’t end up feeling left out and all alone to figure it out.
- Single learning curve saves time: Just learn its interface once and you are done with the learning curve. You no longer need to learn the interfaces of multiple remote controls, thereby saving you much time in the process. Kamonk offers various devices like the wifi smart bulb. Additionally, they can integrate with devices like an RGB light bulb. These are especially fun during movie nights and gaming. A touch switch can also be used for the same purpose. Plus, an electric smart switch is also one of the best ways to get started on your home automation journey. Kamonk offers you the best smart lock in the business. We strongly recommend gettings a google smart lock as it increases the security of your house tenfold
- Saves money: Multiple remote controls need multiple batteries in order for them to work. So, if you have 3 remote controls, then that means you end up spending 3x times more on the batteries themselves. This can start to add up depending upon the number of remote controls you have.
Buying the batteries for a Universal Remote Control once (till they last) ensures that your costs are very minimal. You can save even more by opting for rechargeable batteries.
- Less Physical care: Simply handle the Universal Remote Control with care and keep it away from physical damage and you have a very powerful device that can control virtually any other device at your place.
- Glow-in-the-dark: Some of the Universal Remote Controls have glow-in-the-dark feature. This helps in locating the device even in dark locations very easily, so the risk of losing it in the dark is very minimal.
- Pre-programmed URCs: Even pre-programmed Universal Remote Controls are available in the market. The beautify of these devices is that using it enables hassle-free setup within 2 minutes.
- Controls Smart TV: A Universal Remote Control can also be used to control a Smart TV and perform various actions on it for your viewing and internet browsing pleasure.